Recently, we were talking with some community members about the farmers’ market and wanted suggestions on ways to improve the market. One of the suggestions was about how the community could get involved with the farmers’ market and how to get the word out about this wonderful community event.
We here at Bright Spot thought this to be a great idea. So we put it to you, community at large.
Would there be interest in creating a Cool Spring Farmers’ Market Volunteer Corp? What would you like to do in this group? What would you like to see accomplished? What would be the name of the group?
We’ve put together some of the thoughts of responsibilities and suggestions and want to hear what you think:
- Assemble an active citizens group that tries to give a voice to our park and how they might improve, ie fixing the broken lights around the park to improve night time safety or fix the fountain so it is no longer an eyesore
- Help get the word out by putting out lawn signs or putting up flyers
- Help clean up Cool Spring Park
- Help set up or take down music
- Reach out to potential artists or local groups to come to our market
- Activities or theme days for the market
- Have a booth to handout recipe cards or to give information for various things happening at the market – ie, music schedule, how to get involved, how Cool Spring Farmers’ Market accepts SNAP/EBT so low income families can have access to healthy fruits, vegetables, bread and other items
- Help make an off-season event to raise money for running the farmers’ market for next year
- Collect food from vendors at the end of the market and to donate to food pantries or shelters
What do you think? Please let us know via comments below, Facebook, or email at email@example.com